McDonald's is one of the largest restaurant chains in the world with about 30.000 restaurants in 121 countries and with 235 restaurants in Sweden.
McDonald's was founded 1948 in San Bernadino, USA and 1973 the first restaurant was opened in Sweden at Kungsgatan in Stockholm.
McDonald's have three clear and equally important business goals: satisfied employees, more satisfied guests and better economy.
To achieve the goal of satisfied employees McDonald's have conducted thorough employee surveys.
As an example from these surveys, critisism towards the old work clothes led to a work group of employees
from a number of restaurants being appointed. Their task was to developi the new work clothes.
As a result of this, the special attire for the supervisors was discarded and replaced with the new attire worn by all employees.
In the past when conducting a survey, a paper based method was used and the questionnaire was distributed by mail.
- Nowadays when all the McDonald's restaurants are connected to the Internet, we chose to use Easyresearch to conduct our surveys by email, says Raymon Mankowitz,
senior director of Human Resources at McDonald's Sweden.
McDonald's have developed a number of questionnaires that have been used for different types of surveys among the employees.
These have been entered into Easyresearch and can easily be reused the next time an online survey is conducted.
It is very easy to change something in the questionnaire, should that be necessary.
A few examples of when McDonald's conduct their online survey through email:
- annual survey among all the franchise holders owning and running a restaurant
- annual survey among all the restaurant managers of McDonald's
- evaluation among restaurant managers and franchise holders concering McDonald's own equipment department
- evaluation among restaurant managers and franchise holders concering external service providers working with McDonald's
Future dialogue HQ
- annual survey where all the employees at McDonald's headquarters are evaluated by their closest co-workers and heads.
Future dialogue RM
- annual survey where all McDonald's restaurant managers are evaluated by their closest co-workers and heads.
- Using Easyresearch for these surveys have been both cost effective and flexible, says Raymond.
- All of these surveys have been easier to conduct through email than using the old paper based method, but the largest gain in terms of administrative work was probably
seen in our Future Dialogue survey.
This is an administratively complicated survey where all 120 employees at McDonald's headquarters are evaluated by their closest co-workers and heads.
These evaluations are then used as a part of the annual dialogue session with all the employees at the headquarters.
- We can control all the steps in the online survey our selves. Also, receiving the survey by email makes it easier to respond and the automatic
reminders keeps you from forgetting to respond, says Raymond.
Since the employee surveys are completely anonymous, the reminding process is complicated when using a paper based method.
In most cases the reminders are therefore simply sent to everyone regardless of whether they already have responded or not. With Easyresearch, reminders are only
sent to those that have not yet responded completely. The response frequency have been practically 100% and very little time has been spent from the distribution
of the questionnaire to arriving at the final result.
- We have received a lot of positive response from the respondants by using email based surveys and the administration has been reduced to a minimum, Raymond continues.
Some are saying that it is not optimal for companies to conduct a survey themselves but McDonald's are only positive to being able
to control all steps in the survey process themselves.
- This far we are very satisfied an plan to continue using Easyresearch for our surveys.